• Facilities
  • @The Mill
  • Plan Your Trip
  • About the Mill

History of the Mill

A brief history of the Mill, highlighting important events:

1802

Charles Ready relocates his family from Sumner County, Tennessee to land purchased on the Stones River (named after Uriah Stone).

1812

Ready builds a water powered grist mill on the Stones River.

1829

Ready builds a brick home named “the Corners” across from the mill.

1842

Ready constructs a dam and raceway upstream from the mill, giving the mill greater power and more control over the water flow.

1859

The mill is purchased by Charles’s daughter Jane and her husband, Peter Talley, following Charles Ready’s death.

1860’s

The mill burns down, cause unknown, during the American Civil War.

1870’s

Robert Carter is hired to rebuild the mill, which is the structure that stands today.

1884

Peter Talley dies, and the mill passes to Robert Carter.

1889

Carter sells the mill to W.B. Hayes, Hayes’ son Sam, and Arthur “Rat” McFerrin. Sam Hayes and Rat McFerrin add a sawmill to the mill, which provides much needed lumber to the community.

1900

Rat McFerrin builds an electric generator that runs off the mill’s water powered turbine to power an ice making process; the Icehouse, which still stands today, is added to the facility. Later, electricity generated by the mill is distributed to local homes.

1934

Hayes dies and George and Leslie Justice purchase the mill.

1937

TVA purchases the mill’s small electric plant.

1970

Justice sells the mill to Gerald Flipse and his wife Mary.

1973

Readyville Mill is placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

1973

Wilford and Marie Carrigan purchase the Mill.

1977

Wayne Epperly purchases the Mill.

1978

The Mill closes.

2006

Tomm and Martha Brady purchase the Readyville Mill from the Epperly estate and they begin its restoration.

2009

The Readyville Mill opens it doors as a working grist mill, restaurant and venue for weddings and other special events.